Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pottermore

When Harry Potter first hit US bookshelves, I was in middle school. I felt I was far too old to concern myself with fantasy novels for kids. The summer before attending Tufts, though, I read the entire series. How could I study children's media without having read Harry Potter? It was the best decision I ever made!

The most well-loved creators are storytellers: playwrights, composers, lyricists, puppeteers, animators, and J.K. Rowling is, in my opinion, the most creative living human of our time. The universe she's created empowers children to defeat evil and read 500+ page novels. Books, movies, costumes, a new collegiate sport, a theme park, and yet we still want more? It's a licenser's dream!

I'd be a very silly and ignorant children's media lover and blogger if I did not mention the Pottermore launch. Have you heard of it? The Twitter feed seemed to give away the secret far too soon. J.K explains...



So, really, what is Pottermore? Most importantly (and wisely), it's the only retailer for Harry Potter eBooks. Secondly, it's a virtual experience where online participants can experience the world of the stories. Will I partake? Probably not, but I'm curious to see how well it does and how long it survives. Part of the launch includes bidding to participate in the test trials. Is it just me or does it not seem very exciting?

I'll definitely be tracking Pottermore's progress and am looking forward to a future blog or two about it. Until then, follow the owl?

No comments:

Post a Comment