Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Whatever Happened to "Book It!"?

It's been said before, but I’ll say it again: nostalgia is hot. For some things, what has disappeared from pop culture is once again present and beloved. Others have been around so long that they’re nostalgic love has made them popular once again. Case and point: Book It! I’m surprised no one has thrown a Book (swap) It! party: bring your books to swap with friends, and eat delicious pizza.

I don’t remember what books I read when I participated in the Book It! program.  I vaguely remember a button happening. I definitely remember the pizza. Lots of pizza.  And maybe a bookmark. How very late '80s/early '90s of America to think that enticing children with fatty foods was the path to literacy. A 1999 study proves that Book It! has no impact on a child’s motivation to read.  So why, my friends, is Book It! still around?



Perhaps Pizza Hut is stretching its altruistic muscles, or rather trying to get future pizza buyers young and where they’re vulnerable, in school.  



Book It! “alumni” can sign up for newsletters and special offers here, where you can also purchase your retro Book It! tee shirt.

1 comment: