Monday, December 6, 2010

I Love Merch

Did I mention that before heading to Disneyland I dedicated way too much money to buy Mickey Mouse "stuff?" In a week, Joe and I will be checking out Weezer in concert playing songs from the Blue Album. Yes, I REALLY want to hear "Surf Wax America" and sing along to "Buddy Holly," but I just can't stop thinking about all the cool stuff they could be selling at the merch table. Just yesterday, I was on Etsy thinking, "I could really use a Gryffindor scarf or this awesome snitch locket." I realize this is a problem. I am a most desirable candidate for "All-American Capitalist/Consumer." Is this a result of my upbringing in America? Perhaps my father's obsession with keeping toys in the box (you know, for collection value) and his abundance of electric toy trains in the basement did it to me. I just don't know.

I was inspired to write this blog because of an article I found online. It's from England. They're shocked...toys are taking over children's television! To them I say, "Welcome to our world." Get it? Have you ever visited FAO Schwartz? Not only is our toy market reliant on lovable, desirable characters, for many years our television market was consumed with programming based on commercial properties. In fact, we even passed a law banning more than 12 minutes of commercial material from being put on television per hour.

Licensing is part of the process now. If you know Disney, you know that they actually release their toys before the films even come out! The merchandise supports the program and the program supports the merchandise. It seems like you can't have one without the other anymore.

Please read this article...and share your ideas below!

No comments:

Post a Comment