Monday, January 3, 2011

I love television. I spent most of my two weeks of holiday break sitting in front of my parents' television in New Jersey. Television, in its traditional sense, is banned from my Massachusetts studio apartment. I just don't have the space for a TV in the apartment, and I know that it would be an incredible distraction from my graduate work. I save a few hours each week to catch up on shows that are really important to me. Thanks to the magic of Hulu, I am able to do this! After work, time at the gym, and class assignments have been completed, I snuggle up with my laptop and experience sheer bliss. I really love television.

Upon returning to Boston this weekend, I slipped back into my ways. I took walks, read blogs, and relaxed with a cup of tea and a Hulu session. I started to browse by show titles. I was shocked at how many new programs have been added to the website! I was especially suprised to see this page:



For the longest time, I thought Miss Kitty was a design fixture and a character for character's sake. I really enjoyed buying Sanrio products as a kid. They always felt very fresh in their pastel colors and pasty plastic packaging. I had no idea that there was a television show in '87 and '88. The program didn't last long and yet people still love Hello Kitty. What is it about that cat that has endured more than three decades?

What shocked me most about this program was it's title: Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater. This is clearly referring to Shelley Duvall's Fairie Tale Theatre, which was best known in the early '80s but is still new to many individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment